Friday, July 11

My Darling Cupcake


Besides being a super sweet nickname, it is also a project that I created for a swap hosted by Paper Crafts Pro Susan Neal. The theme for this swap was Summertime Fun! Susan was looking for bright, cheerful, summery cards for either Birthdays or Thank You's. One really cool aspect of this swap is that it is going to featured on a local Salt Lake City morning TV program! The program is called Studio 5, and this particular episode focuses on the entire process of an online swap and will air on July 22nd at 11am MST.

I chose the Birthday theme for my project, and modified a cupcake-shaped card that I had created last year for my friend's son's third birthday. The cupcake "top" flips up to reveal a pocket which holds a die-cut sentiment card. It is also the perfect size to hold a gift card.

I first designed the entire project in Photoshop - including the shading for my cupcake holder, top and candle. Next I printed the individual pieces out on colored cardstock and cut them all out. I added metal snaps for my "sprinkles" and attached the top to my cupcake base. I then created a pocket in my base by adhering just the sides. I attached Velcro to keep the flap closed. Finally I created a candle using similar techniques as the one that I designed for my "Piece of Cake" card and adhered it to my cupcake top.

For the sentiment, I designed a gift card sized insert to fit inside the pocket. I chose a simple "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" saying in a fun, chunky font and used bright colors which echoed the colors I chose for my cupcake "sprinkles." To make it more interesting, I die cut the top of the card around the text.

Speaking of die cutters, I would not have taken on this project for this swap if I did not have access to a die cutting machine. (I had to create 12 of these cupcakes!) I am super lucky to have a Graphtec Craft ROBO - a gift from my DH. Gotta love my hubby! (Well, I have to -- the rest of you can love him from afar!) I like the Craft ROBO because it allows me to cut my own designs instead of using only the manufacturer's. This was actually the first time I used this handy little machine, and I have to say I have mixed reviews. When it worked - I loved it! There was no way I was going to be able to cut out all those cupcake patterns by hand as accurately (and without blisters!). Not to mention the inserts! However, it was rather frustrating getting the machine to read my registration marks -- sometimes it worked, and often it didn't -- and I still haven't figured out why. But anyway, with its help I got my entire project done on time. YAY! That's what I call a sweet ending!

Supplies:
  • Cardstock: Assorted colors from DCWV; white from Hammerhill
  • Accents: snaps by Making Memories; Velcro fasteners
  • Transparency Sheet: 3M
  • Ink: Sharpie metallic permanent marker by Sanford
  • Tools: Crop-A-Dile from We R Memory Keepers; Craft Robo die cutter by Graphtec
  • Fonts: Beatnik by LetteringDelights.com
  • Software: Photoshop & Illustrator from Adobe; template - original

Finished Size approx. 4" x 5.5"
Additional photos in my online portfolio at sgro.smugmug.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How in the world have I not found your blog before now!? You make the most adorable cards! All so beautiful! :) Going to add you to my blogroll if you don't mind!

Carol P said...

I have the same issue with the Robo. I have NEVER gotten it to read the registration marks on "auto". Grrr.


Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting